Friday, November 11, 2011

Dreaded Bobcat Tick Disease - Cytauxzoonosis

Scoop, named because you just wanted to scoop him up and love him.
When scoop was about for months old ... I watched him follow a group of deer just like a hunting lion would. Scoop was something special to my heart, and then I lost him.






You might be asking how.. Let me tell you.
Cytauxzoonosis

A Fatal tick-borne illness
This disease is prevalent in certain states of the Southeast and Midwest. 

Missouri is one of them, and supposedly is where the disease was first observed.





There are no clinical signs of cytauxzoonosis during the first 20 days of infection, when the organism is growing within blood vessels throughout the cat’s body. The first signs are seen three to seven days before death occurs due to massive organ failure and bleeding disorders . . . 

When the cat starts showing clinical signs that it is sick, the time clock has started. The cat has five to six days before it is dead. The cells rupture, and the spleen and bone marrow are affected. The cat goes into shock, and it literally has no blood left. Its muscles cramp and the cat has a lot of pain."



May 18th 2007 my precious little kitten Scoop died of cytauxzoonosis.

There is no effective treatment. Veterinary colleges are well aware of this disease, but how many cat owners are?

How many of you like me allow your cats to play outside? I live back in the woods of Missouri, what is there to hurt my cats they all are vaccinated, spayed and I use bug repellant on them. But ticks bite before the repellents work.

One bite of an infected tick can kill your cat.



What the blazes is cytauxzoonosis?

It is a disease carried by ticks infected by feeding on wild bobcats. So your cat plays in the woods picks up a tick and is bitten by it infecting him with Cytauxzoonosis.



Spread the word tell all your friends

Let's do what we can to protect our cats!

That is why I have a cat run. 
Nelda


No comments:

Post a Comment